Feb 28, 2010

OSx 10.5.7 with ATI Radeon HD 4870

For All Hackintosh enthusiasts,

I got my Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb working successfully with QE/CI support. Used OSx 10.5.7 & Natit pkg.

  • I used iAtkos 5i (10.5.5) distro with Voodoo kernel. Selected the the VGA driver and compatible network, SATA driers.
  • Then I had to start in safe mode with ( -x ) kernel parameter. If you start in normal mode it will flicker and just show a blank & pixlated screen.
  • Then in safe mode I have updated to 10.5.7 from the Mac menu ‘Update’ option. This will install the Vanilla 9.7 kernel and I had to enable the vanilla kernel in Boot.plist file changing the kernel mode from ‘custom’ to ‘mach_kernel’. Remember I had to do it in single user (which is root console) mode with -s kernel parameter, because I could not find the root password for iAtkos distro.
  • After restart I still got the flickering, and then safe mode again and installed the Natit pkg.
  • Another restart… voila! It worked with hardware acceleration and QE/CI support in 1080P resolution.

I tried nVidia GTS 250 and GTX 260 but did not have any luck, so I had to gamble with a new 4870 and it paid off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Lasantha Kularatne said...

Its good to hear this post helps your project!