Aug 22, 2007

Interview with Linus Torvalds about the Linux Kernel

I was reading an interview with Linus Torvalds about the Linux Kernel and related topics. There were very interesting ideas he brought up. The most interesting answer ,as I saw, he gave was to the following question.

APC: Do you use a specific distribution of Linux at home or work?

LT: A "specific" one? No. I have changed distributions over the years, and it tends to really end up depending on various random circumstances, like just when I switch machines around and what happens to be convenient.

So right now I happen to run Fedora on my machines, which largely came about from me running on POWER for a few years, and Fedora supported it pretty well (and since I actually don't care that deeply about the distribution, I tend to prefer running the same thing on everything, just to keep any distro issues away).

Before Fedora had PowerPC support, I ran YDL for a while, and before that I had SuSE. Funnily enough, the only distributions I tend to refuse to touch are the "technical" ones, so I've never run Debian, because as far as I'm concerned, the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to install (so that I can then get to the part I care about, namely the kernel), so Debian or one of the "compile everything by hand" ones simply weren't interesting to me.


Interesting ha?


You can read the whole interview here.


- Lasantha

No comments: