Aug 17, 2006

Linux in my Laptop

After getting exhausted with Windows XP, I decided to install Linux into my laptop. I tried different versions. Still I am not satisfied 100%. But without additional fancy features, Linux is far better than Windows XP.

Ubuntu
My first thought was to install Ubuntu. After reading some reviews, I got to know that my specific model (Dell Inspiron E1505 with Intel Core Duo) has some issues with Ubuntu. A lot of people had experienced in corrupted BIOS after installing Ubuntu into this specific model. So, I am waiting till they fix this bug.

Fedora Core 5
Well I have experience in RedHat environments, especially in ES which I think is one of the best stable Linux version for high-end servers. Fedora was easy to install and looks very nice. It detected my sound and gave better video graphics. I have successfully installed the new kernel for SMP versions and it handled the two CPU cores nicely. Well-done! But with SMP kernel my sound did not work. Wifi did not work at all with any of the kernels. And I could not mount the NTFS Windows partitions. And I felt like Fedora is bit bulky. So I did not like it.

Knoppix
I was amazed with the performance of the Knoppix Live CD. So I decided to install it into my hard disk. It detected my sound, with good graphics and Knoppix was the only Linux version allowed me to mount NTFS Windows partition. I had some fun running the Windows programs with Wine in Linux. But this also did not detect Wifi. And after installing SMP kernel, the sound did not work!

Well I am waiting to see how I can fix those issues with Linux. I am experimenting with several Linux detros and hopefully will come up with a solution which will please me most (definitely than Windows did).

No comments: